More than three years after an appeals court tossed his 60-year prison term, a judge resentenced the man who started a deadly shootout on Bourbon Street in năm trước to a total of 20 years in prison.
Bạn đang xem: Dr
Orleans Parish Criminal District Court Judge Nandi Campbell handed a five-year sentence to Trung Le on a negligent homicide count, which the state 4th Circuit Court of Appeal had reduced from manslaughter in 2018.
Le faced a maximum of five years on the count.
Campbell also ordered that the sentence run at the same time as Le’s intact, 20-year prison term for attempted second-degree murder in connection with the shootout, which left one person dead & nine people wounded.
SURVEILLANCE video SCREEN CAPTURE: A gunman fires during the Bourbon Street shooting Sunday, June 29, 2014
Le faced a maximum of 25 years in prison if Campbell ran the sentences consecutively. He appeared via đoạn phim conference at the hearing, wearing a prison uniform, a buzz cut và staring intently into a camera.
The brief hearing in a mostly empty courtroom happened years after the shooting early on June 29, 2014, shook the city. No witnesses testified. Assistant Orleans Parish District Attorney David LeBlanc & defense lawyer Stavros Panagoulopoulos didn’t make oral arguments.
Robert “Big Red” Benvenuti was “around a 7” on the drunk meter và had popped a Molly — the illicit tiệc ngọt drug MDMA — on the June năm trước night t…
Prosecutors said that on the morning of the deadly melee, Le và friends squared off against an unknown man with a gun who has still never been caught. According to authorities, Le fired the first shots in an exchange of 15.
A bullet from the other gunman, who wore striped chef pants and a Boston Red Sox hat, claimed the life of Hammond nursing student Brittany Thomas.
Le’s defense team said at trial that he was trying lớn save a group of friends from the other man. A friend of Le’s claimed that the other man had drawn a gun before the shootout began.
top stories in New Orleans in your inbox
Twice daily we"ll send you the day"s biggest headlines. Sign up today.
e-mail address *
Convicted Bourbon Street shooter Trung Le gets maximum 60 years in prison
Trung Le, the man who fired the first four bullets in a fatal shootout on Bourbon Street nearly two years ago, was sentenced Monday to serve 6…
Regardless, a jury convicted Le of manslaughter in connection with Thomas’ death. But in 2018, the appeals court said Le must be resentenced on a negligent homicide count because he was not on the same side as the shooter who fired the fatal shot.
“Under Louisiana law & jurisprudence, the defendant’s manslaughter conviction for the death of Ms. Thomas cannot be upheld because he did not physically kill her và was not acting in concert with her actual killer, the unknown male,” the court ruled.
Former District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro criticized the ruling & spearheaded a change khổng lồ state law last year that would have made Le eligible for a manslaughter conviction.
Advocate staff photo by ELIOT KAMENITZ--New Orleans Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas, right, holds a press conference at Bourbon & Orleans in New Orleans, La. Sunday, June 29, năm trước near the site where 9 people were shot earlier that morning. Jeffery Walls, NOPD Commander for the 8th District wipes sweat from his brow as Sepras prepares to answer questions from the media.
“Needless to lớn say, on Bourbon Street, this is unfortunately a rather common occurrence,” Cannizzaro said at a Louisiana House of Representatives committee hearing in May 2020.
Cannizzaro"s successor, District Attorney Jason Williams, said in a statement that his office recognized the "pain & trauma" caused by the 4th Circuit Court"s decision to revisit the case.
"However, justice was finally secured today for the victims and it is our hope that those involved can begin khổng lồ move forward," Williams said.
The Le case bore striking similarities to lớn another in Campbell’s courtroom this week, that of a man named Louis Barnes who was accused of setting in motion a chain of events that resulted in a Bourbon Street restaurant’s security guard shooting và killing a nurse.
Campbell found Barnes guilty of negligent homicide. He is set to be sentenced Monday.
Lead detective in killing of former Saints player Will Smith shot on duty in Alaska
At this week"s high-profile trial of a man charged in the fatal shooting of a nurse on Bourbon Street, the lead detective was noticeably absent.
Purchases made via link on our site may earn us an tiếp thị liên kết commission
Save 28% on this massaging footrest for the ultimate găng tay relief
Here’s a vị trí cao nhất performing táo computer for a price that will blow your mind
Get Cyber Monday savings on this 4-star-reviewed data back up system
Man gets 5 years in Bourbon Street shooting; victim"s father says "we still feel tremendous grief"
A judge in New Orleans on Monday sentenced the man who started a fight that led to lớn a nurse’s shooting death on Bourbon Street khổng lồ a maximum sen…
Follow Matt Sledge
Close Get thư điện tử notifications on subject daily!
Your notification has been saved.
There was a problem saving your notification.
Email notifications are only sent once a day, và only if there are new matching items.
Xem thêm: Khối Lăng Trụ Ngũ Giác Có Bao Nhiêu Mặt, Hình Lăng Trụ Ngũ Giác Có Bao Nhiêu Mặt
Manage followed notifications
Close Followed notifications
Please log in khổng lồ use this feature Log In
Don"t have an account? Sign Up Today
tương tác Information
plovdent.com 840 St. Charles Avenue New Orleans, LA 70130 Phone: 504-529-0522
Powered by BLOX nội dung Management System from TownNews.com.